RM 542

Chapter History

Our chapter was organized on October 12, 1965, and named after the town created by Edward Hughes.

The current area known as Damascus was granted by the new state of Maryland to Nathaniel Pigman in 1783. On February 14, 1814, a veteran of the War of 1812, Edward Hughes bought a 40-acre section of the grant and began subdividing lots for sale.

James Madison, the fourth U.S, President, appointed Hughes postmaster of the developing community of Damascus in 1816. Hughes received permission from Congress for a postal route through town. Hughes called his town "Pleasant Plains of Damascus" (taken from the Damascus Heritage Society Museum)